Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My karate kid! Or Noah ninja style.

A couple weeks ago Noah promoted from his junior white belt to yellow belt.

 Sitting like a black belt!

Standing at attention (almost).
Student creed number one.

 Mommy didn't get there in time to get a seat in front, therefore all the pictures from the back. Mommy also needs a new camera, because it can't possibly be her poor photo skilz that caused such crappy pictures.

 Congrats from Mr. M.
(And no, he's really not a vampire.)

 Yellow belt!

The next day Noah participated in the Action Karate Spring Tournament.
 Waiting with Kiel.

 Performing his kata.

 "chamber"

 "asah!"

 and bow!

And a third place trophy, which he refused to take a picture with.


After everyone performed their kata and trophies were given, it was time to do their combination moves. A combination move for his age/group is a combination of three moves. Each child was allowed to do two combinations.

Noah had little to no interest in actually practicing before the tournament. I persuaded him to do his kata with me a few times, but he refused to practice the combination moves. He didn't even want to talk about what to expect. Going in to the tournament I had no idea how he was going to do. I pretty much expected a train wreck to be honest. I figured it would be a learning experience for him. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did do with his kata.

Now, when it came to doing his combination moves I was on edge. I had no idea what he was going to do and if he even knew what he was supposed to do. I saw him carefully watch all the other kids as they did their moves. He was one of the last to perform so I hoped as he watched he was figuring it out.

Well let me tell you, that boy stood up when it was his turn. Took his place and with utter confidence did his thing. I was amazed. The judges were amazed. The other parents were amazed.

My boy stood up there in front of everyone and pulled out every karate ninja move he knew. Instead of doing two combination sets he went all out. 

It was complete free-form Noah ninja out there.


It was incredible.

Beyond incredible.

And then he amazed us all by ending with a back/shoulder spin (think 80's break dance).


Go Noah! Go Noah!

And that my friends is what keeps me going. I don't care if it wasn't what he was supposed to do. And it was a little hard to see his disappointment when he didn't receive a trophy, because he was sure he had done the best moves of anyone. You should have seen his face actually when they awarded the 2nd place trophy and it wasn't to him, he was so sure they were going to call his name for the 1st place trophy he was practically walking up to get it before it was announced.

I am just kicking myself that I didn't get it on tape. It was beyond amazing! It still almost brings me to tears (of the hysterical kind) when I think about it. God I love that boy!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Your little kid is amazing! I bet you are very proud of him. :-) I think he'll grow up to become a very talented black belter someday. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete