Monday, July 23, 2007

It may be a one way trip...

Mell (white collar) and Ambien (in basket)

Tonight at 7:30pm we are taking our cat Mell to the vet. I don't think we will be bringing him home. He has cancer. Although we aren't sure exactly where it started, it has metastasized to his anus and is basically blocking him up. We had the lump removed once before Christmas last year.

Saturday he was throwing up bloody vomit and there was blood on his rear. He's losing weight and seems to be sleeping and hiding more. He stinks. The other cats want nothing to do with him. He's only 11 years old. I've had him and his brother since they were eight weeks old.

Saturday afternoon we decided it was time, but knew we had to wait until today when the vet was open. So all weekend I cried. Then last night he appeared with a clean butt and wanted to be in my lap all lovey like. Like he knows...and is asking for clemency.

I don't know what to do. I'm tired of vomit and poop all over the house. I don't want him to be in pain, and I know he was Saturday. I know that this is a decision we will have to make soon, if not today.

How do you know when it is really time? And how do you explain it to a 4 1/2 year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment