Monday, August 04, 2008

Tales from the Breast - part 2, or Watch my husbands head explode

I don't think I'll warn my husband about this post. Better he not know ahead of time his head is going to explode. Hope he doesn't check this one out at work. Heh.


Reading over my last Tales of the Breast post, I realized it was a bit clinical, with all the Mother's milk tea, and herbs, and dom. etc. I forgot what my original intent was. To write about how much I love breastfeeding Kiel. How special it is.

I love when Kiel first latches on and gets that first mouthful of milk, how his eye's roll back in his head as if he's experiencing nirvana.

I love how his hand is always moving, running over my body. Sometimes grabbing my nose, or finding it's way in to my mouth for me to kiss an nibble on. If both breasts are exposed he'll head right for the other nipple and grab it, twisting and tweaking. I swear his Daddy didn't teach him that either. Such a little man already.

Sometimes, it isn't enough for him to just move his hands on me, he has to move his legs too. Kicking at the breast he isn't nursing from, as if he's tenderizing it for his next course.

I love how he looks in to my eyes, with his sparkly blue/grey eyes. And sometimes stops and smiles; the corners of his mouth moving up and out. A little bit of milk spilling out.

I love when he falls asleep at my breast. Eyes closed, yet mouth still working, sucking, pausing occasionally, then sucking some more. Until finally, he falls asleep so deeply that he slides off my nipple, a little string of spit and milk connecting him to me. And then in his sleep, even though he is no longer latched on, his mouth occasionally moves as if he is still nursing.

I love early in the morning, when I bring him to bed with us. I lay on my back, turned just slightly to the side with him nestled against me. Hungry from the night, refueling his body. Nursing, then falling back asleep (if I'm lucky). My hand cupping his bottom, his head resting on my upper arm.

I love later in the morning, when we are both awake, and he is sitting up, laughing and smiling, or crawling around between Rich and myself. Then he spots my breast, crawls up to it and grabs it, placing the nipple in his mouth, taking a few sucks. Just a little snack.

I love how no matter what position we are in, if the nipple isn't positioned how he wants, he grabs at my breast, getting a handful of flesh, and places it how he wants. As if he owns it, which he clearly does.



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. As a mom who breastfed 3, that was AWESOME! I loved that milky smile and the knowledge that I was bonded with the babies in a way no one else ever could. Those were precious days.

    It's a good thing I don't have to nurse now, however, they could just crawl up while I'm standing and latch on at my knees, where my nipples now reside. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think breastfeeding is such a beautiful - and personal - experience. You describe it well; the emotions and feelings that it creates between mother and child.

    Many women will never experience this feeling, whether it's by choice or circumstance.

    I was blessed to have had an amazing experience breastfeeding my son (over four years ago). I was touched at the way you described this wonderful connection that the two of you shared.

    Your husband should be proud when you "whip it out" in public since you are doing a wonderful thing for your child - creating nourishment for him as well as that wonderful bond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me miss nursing my three babies! I realized recently that of eight years (1997-2005) I nursed for 54 months. And I loved it. That milky smile, the nirvana look. There's nothing like it in the whole world!

    Thank you for bringing back these happy, happy memories. You have no idea how much I needed it!

    (PS that picture is just so beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. see...look at that - comments (heh)

    i already told you the best part of the post (for me) was the way you describe the intense feelings and that bond you formed with Kiel that no other bond will ever come close to.
    very touching post katt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi... you submitted this to Blog Nosh ages ago, and I contacted you to get your permission to run it, but haven't heard back. Just wanted to check in and see if you were still interested. Let me know!

    missivesfromsuburbia@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete