Friday, August 08, 2008

The day after

We have all calmed down today. Noah is having a pretty good day. In fact right now he is sitting next to me watching the Olympics and being as sweet as can be.

A big thank you to everyone who commented or twittered their support!! It means so much to me.

We have an appointment Tuesday with a new developmental pediatrician. She has a great reputation. We are hopeful that she will help us figure out more of what is going on inside his head.

Both Rich and I are at a point where we are ready to try new medications. We have explored the ADHD meds and know what helps, but it isn't enough. I think Risperdal is in his future.

I'm not sure if I've written before that we are seeing what look like manic episodes with him. Not only do his actions get rather frantic, but he has racing speech as well. More than his typical high energy, talkative ADHD self.

I'm really concerned about bipolar disorder. I've barely wrapped my brain around Aspergers and that he is considered "special needs." Adding mental illness to it is more than overwhelming me.

But, if that is what it is we will deal with it. At least we will have a better idea how to treat it.

I just wish we had been able to get in to see this doctor sooner. We are only three weeks away from starting kindergarten. I hate that we may be playing with new medications as he makes that transition. Not to mention it's scary giving a kid his age these heavy duty drugs.

We are still fighting to get home based therapy, which would come in and work with us intensively in the home. We need someone that can see him in action, in his environment. Not just at school or for 45 minutes in a therapists office or studio. Magellan Behavioral Health continues to request "further information." How much more information do they need? Do I show them the bruises on Kiel? Or do I drop Noah off at their offices for a few hours to "visit?" Hmmm...that might not be a bad idea!


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie. I understand your pain. We lived that before Boo started school. I was in the same place as you.

    It took me 3 years to accept Boo's diagnosis of moderate to severe Autism. I hope you find your answers soon.

    Boo is nearly 10 and now the light of my life. Yeah, some days I get down thinking of my forever toddler but then I realise how awesome he is and it is OK.

    Smootches to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a child's needs could be met with love alone, yours would be. I hope that you find the answers to the questions and that there is wisdom in the hearts that are going to be helping you help your sweet boy. Because beyond all the presenting symptoms, he's just a little boy who's feeling out of control and that has to be so scary for him. I'll be praying for him and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our 11 yo son is diagnosed with Asperger and Tourette Syndrome, and certainly some mood issues thrown in. We have been down the road of medication, medication changes, and the like. It is not an easy road nor a static one, but you will find the combination of things that will work for your family.

    If you want to talk more about Risperdal, Geodon, ADHD meds, antidepressants or the like, you can email me. My son has tried them all (or at least it feels that way), and continues to take Zoloft now. Every child is different, but I can share our experiences.

    ReplyDelete