Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mr. Poopy Pants is running out of tighty whities

We have two issues going on with Noah right now that we don't quite know what to do about.

The first one I mentioned in my last post. Noah has encopresis (meaning sometimes he leaks poop) and we've been seeing a pediatric GI doc for a couple years. For the most part I think we have it under control. But, we still have periods of time where there is poop in his underwear on a daily basis.

We've done everything we can to try and make it easier on his bowels. He is on a high fiber diet, he takes Miralax every day, and he has to sit on the toilet every morning and night. Sometimes he has no problems, poops on his own, and has clean underwear for days and weeks at a time. And then there are the days and weeks where his underwear is streaked or worse (and boy do I hate the "worse." Sometimes I just throw his underwear out without even trying to clean it. The boys poop stinks. And I mean STINKS. Baby poop I have no problem with, but big boy poop makes me gag.).

I know that potty training in itself can be a control thing with kids. Its really one of the few things they have total control over, besides perhaps eating. I'm just not sure if whats going on with Noah, or at least part of whats going on, is a control thing or if its all physical.

According to the article I linked to above we are doing everything they suggest, except the "poop chart." And the not getting frustrated bit.

Our second issue has to do with the lock on Noah's bedroom door and his night time awakenings. I'll tackle that with my next post I think.

Reminder: You can vote for me every day for Best Local Blog in Nickelodeon's Parents' Picks Awards! It would be nice to at least stay in third place. It would be even better if I could get more than 10% of the vote! I'm not to proud to beg! Please, Vote here!


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That poor munchkin... potty training is hard enough without this. I don't have any words of wisdom, but I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you're going through this. We're kinda having the same problem with our four year old, but he does it just because he gets to busy playing and just goes! So I remind him about ever two hours to go try to sit on the potty. I hate wasting money on new underwear too!!!!

    ReplyDelete