Friday, November 12, 2010

Mommy Makes Aebleskiver

I was looking through my drafts folder tonight for some inspiration for a post and I realized that I had started this one last summer and never finished it, so here you go!

My great-grandmother, whom we called Ninin, immigrated to the US from Denmark when she was a teenager. She was an awesome great-grandmother. Unfortunately, she passed away when I was 14.

My best memories of her are spending Sunday afternoons doing crafts and watching old movies with her. She loved nothing more than when her great-grandchildren were with her. I'm so glad I was able to know her and spend so much time with her as a child.

One thing she did for her grandkids and great-grandkids was cook for us. Every Sunday morning she made us Ninin's pancakes, what we called Danish crepes. They are still my comfort food of choice! Although no matter how I try I've never been able to make them as good as hers.

On special occasions she made us pancake balls, or aebleskiver. Yum! I distinctly remember her showing me how to make them and how to flip them with a knitting needle.

Well, last June MomImpact and the folk's at Aunt Else's Aebleskiver had a contest and I won an Aunt Else's Aebleskiver starter kit


I can't even tell you how excited I was! In fact, this is what I emailed to Kim at MomImpact when I found out I won: 
"OMG, you just totally made my night!! And my husband is laughing at me right now because I am so excited. He clearly does not understand the power of the aebleskiver! Thank you!"
The kit included an Aunt Else'sTM 9-Hole Cast Iron Æbleskiver Pan, Aunt Else'sTM Æbleskiver Mix, a handle hot pad, and stainless steel chopstick for turning the æbleskiver.

First I had to season the pan, and then I brushed it with oil. I use a pastry brush to oil the pan.

As the pan was heating up I mixed up the batter. 

Then I filled the pan. I use an ice cream scoop but I read on Aunt Else's website that they use a squeeze bottle. That is an awesome idea and would eliminate some serious mess I think.


I like to put a little jam (my favorite is apricot) in the middle, although I didn't in this batch. You can put all kinds of stuff inside them (sweet or savory). The traditional aebleskiver was filled with a slice of apple.

You have to cook them just enough so they set on the bottom, then you use the chopstick to turn them. It takes a little practice to get it just right so they stay round.

I tend to turn them about a third of the way at a time. You could flip them right over, but then they are a little flatter.

Here's my first batch.

And here's a full plate. Yummm!! They take a little time to make but they are oh so worth it!



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. The first time i had an aebleskiver was when a teacher at college who had danish roots hosted a get together one sunday morning for those of us who went on the scandinavian trip with him over the past two years. He made aebleskivers, crepes, and there was a full spread of breads and cheeses and fruits available for breakfast. His pan had slightly smaller holes (about the size of a large doughnut hole) for the aebleskiver's and he put apples in his. They were delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete