I looked at several different recipes and finally decided on Being Creative to Keep my Sanity's recipe, with a couple of adjustments.
Because I wasn't completely convinced this was going to work I decided to make a half batch of the recipe. I used Zote laundry soap instead of FelsNaptha. I also didn't include the OxyClean since I forgot to buy it. I figure I can add it later if I need it.
- 1 - 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle
- 1 - 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking isle
- 1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle
- 3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap, found in the detergent isle (if you use Zote bars use 2 bars instead, Zote can be found at Home Depot)
- 2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent isle. (This is optional, I added it into mine because I have pretty messy kids and the cleaner the better.)
|Labeled and ready to go!|
This is our final recipe:
- 1/2 box of Borax (38 oz)
- 2lb of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
- 1/2 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 27.5 oz
- 1 bar Zote laundry soap (shredded)better)
Next time I will shred the Zote so it is finer. I think it will distribute better if the pieces are smaller.
I have been using this in our HFE front load washer. I put it right in with the clothes. I am using about a tablespoonful per load, with slight adjustments depending on the size of the load. The clothes come out of the washer with a nice fresh clean scent.
So far it seems to be working great. This is the first weekend I'm doing all of the laundry with it, so I'll know more later when I fold everything.
If you make your own laundry detergent leave a comment and tell me what you use to make it.